Wednesday 1 January 2014

My top 10 of 2013 (and everything else that matters)

Well, what a year! Finished with 278 for year of those 278 36 of them where lifers, and some of them truly brilliant lifers. I present to whomever is reading this my top 10 birds / birding moments of 2013.

10) Bonaparte's 'Napoleon' Gull, Princes Park, Sussex



A ridiculously obliging bird showed well throughout my visit, showed even better when we introduced him to Hovis best of both!

9) Kentish Plover (x2), Rye Harbour, Sussex



The views of these birds where never brilliant always distant however the fact there was two! Made it such a brilliant thing to witness. It was one of my first solo twitch on the train after finished college early! Look old walk but so worth it!

8) Penduline Tit, Stod Marsh, Kent



My first out of county train twitch with Luke & George, 3-4hours roughly to get there but so worth the wait. Had the bird all to ourselves, for about an hour. Absolutely fantastic!

7) Dusky Thrush, Margate Cemetery, Kent



Well that was a panic! 11.30pm this bird came out on the news, having already made plans to go out birding I knew this was something that could not be missed, fortunately the birder I was going out with didn't mind me cancelling! I frantically rang Luke & George. George being asleep already and Luke in a state of total disbelief when I spoke to him! The first train up there also taking about 3 hours! We managed excellent views of the bird, throughout our visit.

6) Bridled Tern, Farne Islands, Northumberland



Wow. What a bird, many thanks to Garry for driving me up there wouldn't of seen it without him! But just wow, what a remarkably brilliant bird! Much larger than its commoner cousins but far more striking and more graceful in flight! Also life ticked Puffin on the same trip, cracking little birds almost as brilliant as the tern itself!

5) Red Flanked Bluetail, Happisburgh, Norfolk



After hearing about this bird from Connor the day before I was desperate too see it, a dream bird! Despite frantically asking for lifts through rba, twitter, facebook etc nothing. To console myself I decided to go birding in Gt Yarmouth Cemetery, during the morning there had been no news, I was annoyed but pleased not to have bothered! Suddenly 'still present'. Fortunately Craig was on his way up and offered me a lift! Great views of a great bird, also met Kayn for the first time!

4) Wilsons Phalarope, Great Yarmouth, IOW



I think its every birders dream to see any Phalarope in Summer Plumage, this being the dream bird really. Although not a mega rarity, they're still fairly rare and certainly much rarer in full blown summer plumage! This gorgeous female bird spent a week down on the IOW and showed fantastically when I went to see it!

3) American Golden Plover, Cuckmere Haven, Sussex 



Many thanks to Matt for finding this incredibly obliging stunner! Incredibly tame, views down to about 10ft if that at times. Completely fearless, in fact so fearless I and Liam dared birders to try and flush it! It wouldn't budge! Showed brilliantly throughout its stay and well deserved to be in my top 3!

2) Ivory Gull, Patrington Haven, Yorkshire




Another dream bird, stupidly showy after some wait! The brilliant thing about this trip other than the bird was meeting all the other NGB's! The largest gathering in history and it was really great to be a part of it, and to see peoples reactions to so many young people on a twitch!

1) Corncrake, Beachy Head, Sussex 



Even to this day I'm amazed I've seen a Corncrake in Sussex! Absolutely stunning views of a truly stunning bird, I can't think Mick enough for driving me over there. I've never experienced such a joy of seeing a bird but this, provided that joy! Easily the best bird I saw in 2013 even if doesn't have the same rarity factor as they Dusky Thrush for example.

Other birds which where fantastic too see in their own right but not quite cut out for the top 10.

Brunnich Guillemot
Pacific Swift
Dotterel
Western Bonellis Warbler
Cirl Bunting
Pallid Swift
Lesser Grey Shrike
Spotted Crake
and many many more!

My best self find of the year - 8 Shorelark at Great Yarmouth Beach in Norfolk, which proved to be the largest flock in Norfolk for 2013 and the most twitched in Norfolk!

If anyone would like to see anymore of my photo's from 2013 please visit my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakegeartysphotos/

A very Happy New Year to Everyone in 2014, and hope to find/ see some awesome birds in the new year!

2 comments:

  1. Good stuff Jake, keep up the good work. Will catch up with you in either Norfolk or Sussex sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete